Wednesday, December 21, 2011

How language transformed humanity

Mark Pagel talks about language as a tool to communicate and make possible the cooperation between humans. According to that, language would be the main reason of the evolution and adaptation in human beings, because is thanks to language that we developed the ability of social learning; this is the ability from learning from other’s experiences. So, language allows us to communicate and share information and knowledge. And this is very important to avoid what Mr. Pagel calls “visual thief”. So, we don’t transfer information by stealing from other’s experiences, but we use language to make agreements. But I would like to mention that the possibility of agreements is not always possible, and in that case rises conflicts between humans, and that seems to need “other kind of languages” to resolve. So I think Mr. Pagel is showing just the idealistic and simple part of the language in human history, omitting the different conflicts, wars and more; just because language is a tool, but is a tool useful (or manipulated to be useful) just for some of the humans, the ones that holds the power. So I would like to ask if you think that language is a “democratic” or egalitarian tool?
This last is also related with the possibility of “One world, one language” that is also mentioned by Pagel. Because if language is not egalitarian, that means that there is one language more powerful than others, a “hegemonic” one. And besides to be the verbal language (Mr. Pagel doesn’t talk about other kind of language) I think that it would be the language of those who has the economic power to control and impose their language until makes it the universal one. But now I just know that Spanish language is very powerful too, especially for its ability to change and evolve, so I don’t think it could disappear under English.

4 comments:

  1. Hy Paxy, this is really weird. My post says exactly the opposite things, but I agree with you :/. And actually I didn't thought about..."hegemonic language" or conflicts caused by language. I think I only consider the idealistic side of languaje...so, I wasn't realistic. Now I thing that Pagel wasn't all right after all :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... I `m agree .... I think language is a hegemonic tool of domination..."one languaje, one world" ... by Mr. Pagel would be perfect if all the people would speak in english, it could be the perfect domination tool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm agree with you, language isn't egalitarian tool and Pagel doesn't talk about its potential of domination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Paxy. You hit the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete